Part of being a homeowner means taking care of your living space in such a way that it retains its value and stays presentable, comfortable and livable. This is achieved in a variety of different ways, such as through regular home upgrades and renovations or even everyday things, like taking the time to vacuum your carpets or wipe down your appliances. And, one of the easiest ways to help your home retain all of its quality characteristics is to make sure that the things you’re investing in stay nicer, for longer.
You may not consider your Kawartha Lakes home shutters a home-defining aspect, but in fact they are and taking care of them will ensure that this is one part of your home that you don’t have to worry about renovating or upgrading. But alas, few people realize the appropriate way to take care of home shutters and often, they simply do nothing for fear of doing something wrong! Take a look at some of the easiest ways to maintain your Kawartha Lakes home shutters on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis:
- Your interior home shutters should be dusted weekly, to prevent a buildup of dust and other debris on them that might result in damage or degradation to the material itself. Dusting will also improve the air quality of your home and serve to eliminate visual areas on the shutters themselves that may have been touched or bumped and the dust unsettled.
- Be sure to take a clean, damp rag and wipe down your shutters after you have dusted them, to make sure that any debris that may be clinging to them isn’t left to take hold between dustings.
- If your shutters are wooden, be sure to wipe them down gently once a month with a wood polish product. This will ensure that the shutters get a fresh coating of protection each month to keep them shining and strong.
- If your shutters are painted, touch up the paint spots at least once per year. If there are just a couple of areas where paint has chipped or flaked, paint these areas specially, however if paint has faded or touchups over time have led to discoloration or spottiness, an entire repaint may be in order. Spray paints or spray stains are often the best and easiest course of action for this process.
- Be sure to tighten any screws and oil any hinges that are on your shutters as a way to ensure optimal mechanical maintenance. If you notice damage to any of these components, replace them with identical parts.
Though they’re not as costly or as prevalent as something like your home’s siding or its roof, Kawartha Lakes home shutters are nonetheless an investment that should be taken into account when keeping up with your home and its needs. Be sure to follow the above care and maintenance tips to make the most of your shutters and extend their life past when they might otherwise serve you!